Department of Communications
My interest is in the interaction between human development and media effects, particularly how facets of child and adolescent development influence media choice and the effects of exposure to media. My collaboration with different media companies, such as Common Sense Media, primarily uses experimental and survey methodologies. These questions of interest are addressed through research in my lab, a naturalistic, living room setting equipped with traditional and new media technologies.
My research has been published in journals such as New Media & Society, Media Psychology, Journal of Media Psychology, Computers in Human Behavior, and the Journal of Children and Media. In addition, my lab has received funding from the Television Academy, Arts and Sciences Foundation.
- Krcmar, M., & Cingel, D. P. (forthcoming). Moral Foundations Theory and moral reasoning in video game play: Using real-life morality in a game context. Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media. doi: 10.1080/08838151.2015.1127246
- Cingel, D. P., Krcmar, M., & Olsen, M. K. (2015). Exploring predictors and consequences of Personal Fable ideation on Facebook. Computers in Human Behavior, 48, 28-35. doi: 10.1016/j.chb.2015.01.017
- Cingel, D. P., & Krcmar, M. (2014). Understanding the experience of Imaginary Audience in a social media environment: Implications for adolescent development. Journal of Media Psychology, 26(4), 155-160. doi: 10.1027/1864-1105/a000124
- Krcmar, M., & Cingel, D. P. (2014). Parent-child joint reading in traditional and electronic formats. Media Psychology, 17(3), 262-281. doi: 10.1080/15213269.2013.840243
- Cingel, D. P., & Sundar, S. S. (2012). Texting, techspeak, and tweens: The relationship between text messaging and English grammar skills. New Media & Society, 14(8), 1304-1320. doi: 10.1177/1461444812442927
- National Communication Association, Doctoral Honors Seminar Invitee (2015)
- Searle Teaching Program, Excellence in Teaching Certificate Recipient (2014-2015)
- Northwestern University, Graduate Teaching Assistantship (2013-2015)
- Northwestern University, Graduate Fellowship recipient (2012-2013; 2015-2016)
- Northwestern University, Summer Research Support recipient (2012)